Sunday, April 2, 2017

Girls' toys. Boys' toys.



      I'm sure that when you take a look at these photos, you would immediately guess that this is in the "girls aisle" by noticing dolls and the color pink.  These gender stereotypes have distinctively made separate color-coded shopping aisles that direct parents into getting their kids toys that will follow the gender norm.  I believe there are negative effects with the imposing idea of gender normality upon children.  For example, if a boy gets caught playing with a doll at school, he may get teased by other peers.  Same goes for a young girl playing with action figures- other girls might make her feel like she is weird.  It would be interesting to see the aisles clash and allow children to pick their own toys.  Young people should not feel tormented when they express themselves and their interests.    







3 comments:

  1. Excellent points! Thanks for sharing the pictures! I totally agree with you. It's funny because I know for a fact that as a little girl I would have wanted the dolls and "girly" toys. Although there is nothing wrong with girls liking traditionally feminine things, the most important thing is definitely to give children the choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work! I agree, toys are definitely gender specific no matter how hard they try. As a kid I remember knowing dolls were only for girls and if my sister ever tried to get me to play with one I had to live up to the boy standard and destroy the crap out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some really good points about children being made fun of for playing with the "wrong" toys. I have seen this first had with my own siblings. My youngest brother is 8 years old and was playing with my sister who is 11, they were playing barbies. When a neighbor came over he made fun of my little brother for playing with "girl toys." I found it sad that my brother was made fun for playing with my sister at such a young age. This just shows how society assigns gender roles and how they're enforced at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete