Sunday, February 26, 2017

Rich Media, Poor Democracy 2/26/17



        I have always been a skeptic in regards to the news/media, simply because I grew up with my dad constantly reminding me that the news is bullshit.  ((He's the smartest person I know so I always value his opinion.:))  Although I don't believe much of what the news puts out and tries to fill my head with, that's not to say I don't follow it or watch it- even if it's only to amuse me.  The news today is pretty much a joke.  The term "fake news" has been thrown around recently and a lot of it has to do with our new president because whatever press he disagrees with, he dubs it as "fake news."  He just recently called the media "the enemy of the people."  I'm sorry but, WTF!!?  It's quite sad with all the confusion that has taken place before, during, and after this past election.  Most people turn to the news for guidance in their opinions on certain matters and I think we can all agree that the majority of people do not know who/what to believe. 

        In a link provided by Dr. Barry, (http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/dont-get-fooled-by-these-fake-news-sites/) it provides 22 fake news sites, many of which I have come across at some point or another.  I was astonished to read some of the things these sites have presented for us to absorb.  For example, #15 which was from Burradstreetjournal.com.  It says verbatim, "Burradstreetjournal.com ran this erroneous pre-election headline: "Obama Declares His Family Will Move To Canada If Trump is Elected."  Well, we know that is some b.s.  It was utterly shocking to read through those examples and see what nonsense is actually being put out there for the public to view and consume.  Social media is now making this nonsense easier to access.  Now everyone is sharing this babble and people's sources are becoming weak.  

        I don't believe that a lot of journalists are really taking a stand to decipher what is true and what is "fake" when it comes to what claims our political leaders are making.  These journalists honestly might not know for themselves what to think or they may not be able to keep up.  Donald Trump has already backpedaled so much in these last few months, I couldn't image trying to figure out what in the hell he is talking about and at the same time trying to make it sound pleasing to their audience.  We can only hope that free press will never be taken away from us because as Dr. Barry noted, "if there is no freedom of speech or the press, we will not have an informed public.  The result will be the absence of a meaningful democracy."

       

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree, journalists are not confronting the problem head on. At times it seems like there are some good leads as to what is really going on with Trumps administration but when you actually click on these news there is really no substance. There are many sites bashing the president but without any real evidence to show for. I don't think this is proper journalism at all.

    ReplyDelete